Wednesday, October 26, 2011
I am doing work on the girths now. The undergirth will be a glue-only type of deal, and the overgirth will have a working buckle but should be glued in place to reduce stress on the leather parts. Undergirth is done. The overgirth just needs a strap & the strap keepers.
The hood is done. It has those long straps on both sides so that Lisa can glue them down to her horse. Glue and trim off the remaining pieces.
I have the saddle mostly done, though I am debating on whether to create a bottom to it or not. There is no need really since it'll be permanently attached to the horse. I'll figure something out as I have a little tweaking on the front end I want to do.
The bridle also mostly done. I have a buckle keeper to add, and just some sheaths over where the rubber meets the leather on the farside rein. Otherwise, that should do it.
Lastly, I have the black #2 saddle cloth to start. Since I'll be making it myself instead of outsourcing like I usually do on the saddle cloths (and I have no idea how to use a sewing machine), I think I'll be using the iron-on hemming adhesive. I used that once before and had good results. As for the #2 in white, I'll do an iron-on transfer if Kinko's can print something in white ink for me. I liked how it turned out on my previous saddle cloth that I made. I think Secretariat also raced with a chamois and possibly a foam pad under his saddle. I think I'll include that too, since you'll be able to see part of it when the cloth is flipped back.
Sunday, October 23, 2011
Edit (sort of):
Monday, October 10, 2011
EDIT: I started on the race hood and I'm posting progress below. I need to add blue eyecups, some cheek straps, little leather bits like the real hood from the '70s, and then trim out the rest of the border in while then we should be good.
Reference for me so I don't have to keep finding the files buried in my computer:
Friday, October 7, 2011
We'll start with a photo of Secretariat, and the main inspiration of what I'm doing. This is essentially what I'll be making. It's hard to find a photo of his saddle without a Ron Turcotte sitting in it, so I think that gives me a little creative license to make something neat!
Here's just a quick shot of my bridle so far. The white cheek strap will be hiding under the racing hood, so there's no need for buckles. If it were for someone in the hobby, I'd be doing it a little different but it's just going to be glued to the horse in this case. The blue straps are working buckles, and I'm doing loop end reins with orange rubber grips. I've taken the dimensions from a particular brand of rein that's 56" long in real life, or 12" bit to grip x 24" grips x 20" grip to end. I know it's a little different than his photo dimensions, but the rubber is pretty resistant to glue! It's better if just the leather can be glued down instead. He'll have a white browband, brown-ish saddle with some type of embellishment, blue checker hood, and everything else you can see in the photo (tack-wise). This is a very handsome set in real life, so I sure hope my scale version turns out just as nice!
And of course there's Dewey who thinks he's the "other" kind of show dog and not just an obedience dog :)
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Nothing major to report today. As I mentioned previously, I'm trying out some new techniques for this set. For the rubber part of the reins, I actually cast some rubber pieces from a mold I made to look like the real thing with grips and all. It's been quite a challenge so far (lots of castings before I found something I thought looked good enough), and I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but what I made isn't bad. I'll keep experimenting and perfecting on future sets but its time to move forward.
The bridle has been a little slow going since I have to paint everything blue, but its looking sharp so far! I also have my checker pattern created for the blinker hood in a scale that I think looks good, so I'll be getting to that shortly. I just ordered the last solid cast Valor from Rio Rondo, so once he arrives I'll take some pics on him. Yay! He's a cool model. Anyway, that's about it for now.
Oh yea, my dog and I did get our title this past weekend. We got a 98 out of 100, which was a tie score for 1st place but the person who got first was 2 seconds faster...so I got 2nd. Still a good showing and I'm proud :). Next up is Advanced Rally (RA title) and Novice Obedience (CD title). We shall see!