Monday, April 15, 2013

Classic Huntseat Saddle -- 1st classic of any kind for me!

I'm just writing a quick note before I'm off to work.  This weekend, I started work on a 1:12 classic size huntseat set for the Eberl Haflinger pony.  For some reason, I've made saddles in all other scales except classic!  Why?  I don't know.  Couldn't easily find a classic saddle tree from my suppliers, so I decided to make my own so I could actually begin work right away.

So far so good, but you can't see too much progress :)  I just got some new paper-thin leather in from eBay, and it was perfect size for making the seat.  I need like 1/4oz to 1/2oz leather, and boy is that hard to find.  The main body color is called mahogany, though in the picture it looks pretty chocolate.  I'm using a spray dye which makes for a nice even finish.   
   
(I don't know where my photos went -- I think I deleted my folder they were in.  Doh!)

And I'm just using the photo below for size reference.  It's so much easier to have reference photos on the blog so I can view them on my mobile devices.  Beats having to always come back to the PC just to see a picture.

4 comments:

  1. Although I don't get to make much of it, I really like classic scale tack. It's smaller than traditional so there's much less prep work, but it's still big enough to hold a lot of detail. Your saddle looks like it's off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm hoping it still looks good once I get those panels actually glued on :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like good progress! When can I place an order? :D Not many people make classic tack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle! I'm not sure if writing a comment on my own blog will somehow magically email you (fingers crossed it will!). Just a few days ago I figured out how to make a new page, so I put together some info for commissions on the right, just above the blog archive. It'll tell you how to get ahold of me. :) Thanks for reading my blog! I think you should join as a member ;) Hehe!

      Delete