It's Labor Day weekend, and I'm a bit bored. It's a gloomy, rainy day here in northern IL....I really don't feel like doing anything in particular, but I'm a little restless at the same time. Ugh! I wasn't really in the mood to work on my saddles, but my boredom got the better of me and I did some more work to the Micro Mini set. The saddle itself is nearly finished, I think I just need to add the tail end of the stirrup leathers. It's so small, there's really not much more I can do to it....or at least not what I have tools small enough to do. I've found that I can really only work on this scale for maybe an hour at a time before I get a headache, so I'm taking a break for now.
So, what did I do...I made my girth which is permanently attached on one side, and then it just attaches with sticky wax on the other. I made a faux-elastic breastgirth. I even found a little silver piece of hardware nearly small enough to work on this...it's on the far side. The strap is not adjustable. I'm also starting the bridle. Again, I found a little hardware that looks like a D-ring bit, and the noseband just attaches with stick wax under the jowl. It's much easier doing it this way rather than trying to slide the strap through more mini buckles if you're at a show. I'm probably going to do the same thing for the throatlatch. The way I'm putting it all together still allows for quick removal of the tack if you're at a show and need to switch between halter & performance. Putting on, not super quick but again it's easier than the alternatives. For what it's worth, this set is quite a challenge...I really don't think I'm going to do many more Micro Mini bridles anyway.
Ooh, and I have a crafty idea for a saddle pad. There's this scrapbooking stuff called flocked paper, and I think if I can find it in white, I might have a winner for a saddle pad :) I have no idea though, We'll have to see!
Please drop me any comments if you have them. I'd like to know someone out there is reading my blog besides just me!