Monday, July 15, 2013

Noseband detail

 After lots of waiting for help on using the new decal machine at work, and plenty of trial and error (mostly error), I think I finally got the noseband detail pretty well set.  I know it's a tad tilted, but that's about as good as I can do with this.  I end up putting it on blindly, so that's not too bad for not being able to see!  Very happy for today :-)

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Saddle and a haircut?

I think the saddle is finally done (yay!).  

I started working on my pattern idea for the bridle stitching this morning.  In my head it looks good, but we'll have to see how this translates.  Fingers crossed the tranfer will work!  This should work for the noseband and browband.

And, I gave my poor pony a haircut.  She looks pretty unloved in her current state, with gaping holes, and some boo-boos I made with the dremel.  Oh well, necessary step if she's going to ever wear a bridle.  I just don't like that thick, molded, tack unfriendly hair!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Saddle almost done

I'm just about finished with the saddle.  I'm trying a new material for padding on the bottom...rubber!  Well actually, it is like a liquid plastic, but it feels rubbery when baked.  Remember those Creepy Crawler Kitchens from way back when?  Its that kind of material.  I had a heck of a time getting it to bake though.  You're supposed to do it on a low temp for I think 15 min, well that didn't do anything.  I ended up baking at 100 degrees hotter and 3x as long.  Also not the best idea, but it did set-up.  I think my goo is too old!
Anyway, I like the results thus far...hopefully my customer does too!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013


Does anyone else get tons of spam rereferrer traffic on their blogs?  I've been getting lots ofhits from,, and  Don't click any of those...I read that they can link you to porn or viruses.  But, I was just curious if anyone else gets that too.

My new Affinity came the other day...she (he in my horse's case) is a really cool looking model.  I have lots of racing tack that I want to make, just need to narrow it down a bit.  I almost think another Secretariat set might be cool.  I made one once before and it's a shame it isn't being shown.  It's a very striking combo.  I have a prototype hood on him just for fun...I don't like that one too much.  I'm embarrassed to say what the fabric is too! :)

Monday, May 20, 2013

Little progress

I don't know why I'm going so slow.  How's it looking today?

Saturday, May 18, 2013

What's "writer's block" called if you're a tackmaker?

I don't know why I have tackblock!  I've been stuck in the same place with this saddle for about a month.  I think the shape is great, I don't love the shiny finish of the spray dye.  It's not bad or anything, but I was hoping for the finish of a new leather saddle.  Not glossy, but has a healthy sheen to it.  I bought some matte sealant, but oddly enough it just enhances the shine so I won't be using that on the saddle.  What to do!

Also, I need to sort out the suede knee rolls.  I think I'll just do some backwards skiver, but I don't think I have anything that's the right color.  Maybe just some backwards natural'll compliment the mahogany saddle tone anyway.  We shall see.  Going to Milwaukee today with my mom for her 2nd Mother's Day celebration, so maybe I'll feel inspired when I get home.

On a side note, I went to the Boston Terrier Nationals in Chicago this past Monday/Tuesday and we earned another Rally title - Rally Excellent in the B level.  We got 1st place, 2nd place, and 4th place with scores of 98, 90, and 90.  I was happy with the 98 because we beat out people who were working on RAE (already have their Excellent title).  There were two other 98's but I was the fastest!  I wasn't too happy with the 90's, but taking into account that we haven't trained at all since July 2012 and I basically plucked my dog off the couch for this show, I'll take it!  He was so tuckered out when we got home...he was extra sleepy for like 3 days after :)